The Regional Information Systems Working Group (RISWG) is a working group of the Regional Planning Commissioners of Ontario (RPCO). The group is concerned with data, systems, and research issues primarily related to land use planning, forecasting, and municipal decision-making functions. Findings are reported through RPCO.
Representatives from Provincial Ministries and Federal Departments & Agencies participate in RISWG meetings alongside municipal representatives from the RPCO member municipalities to keep lines of communication open. Participating Provincial Ministries include the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing (MMAH), the Ministry of Transportation (MTO), and the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry (MNRF). Other agencies that regularly participate are Statistics Canada and the Muncipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC).
In 2019, the Working Group is chaired by Kevin Farrugia, Region of Peel.
- Information sharing
- Best practises
- Data standardization
- Consortium data orders
- Data sharing
- 2021 Census Consultations
- Discussion of data and reporting standards used by members
- Methods for standardization across the GTHA
- Policy discussion, including licensing
- Best practises
Provincial Plan Implementation
- Sharing of data sources, techniques, and standards used for the Plan
- Feedback to the Province
Information Management and Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Data visualisation
- General technology best practises
- Best practises for handling data
- Linking development tracking data with Planning data
Past Topics & Work
- Developed three planning data standards for the RPCO on road networks, employment data, and property data.